The Secret to Hearing God’s Heart for You | Fasting Week One
Week One: A Deeper Devotion
“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you.”
Interestingly, on the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus referenced fasting. And if you read carefully, he didn’t say, “IF you fast…,” but rather, “WHEN you fast…” Fasting is as much an expectation and spiritual discipline as is prayer, praise, studying scripture, giving, communion, and more.
A few important notes about fasting:
- There is absolutely no judgment or legalism here. Pray. Ask the Holy Spirit when and how and for how long YOU should fast.
- I’ll talk about the different types of fasts we see in the bible, as well as what others have done
- I’ll give you terrific resources to help prepare and encourage you along the way
- The DestinyMakers.org community on FB will also be a resource for you to share and be supported.
- If you have a medical condition, then PLEASE consult your Dr.
- For me, I’m currently being treated for metastatic breast cancer. Several of the treatments I take cannot be done on an empty stomach. Believe me, I’ve tried it and end up throwing up all the pills and IV infusions I’ve taken.
- So I’ve modified my fast to make sure I eat a morning and lunch meal, taking my 30-some pills during that time and then fasting after lunch until the following morning. Besides my morning devotional times, I’ve dedicated an hour during the dinnertime to retreat to my private space to be quiet before my King.
- This may not work for you. That’s between you and the Lord. He knows your heart. And if your desire is for more of Him, He will fill you up in every way.
- Fasting is about abstaining from food. Jesus said that, “ Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of GOD.” Jesus fasted and withdrew many times to be with the Father. And of course, his most intense fast was 40 days in a desert without food and water!
- Giving up sugar or coffee or TV or some other habit that has a hold on you is a good thing. I encourage you to make it part of your fast.
- But abstaining from food to depend on GOD to sustain you will be such a rich and rewarding experience.
- Fasting is not about performance. And it’s not a negotiating tool or bribe to get something you want.
- It’s about pursuing GOD – desiring to be closer.
- To sit quietly to allow the distractions of the world to fade so you might hear him better.
- Your physical hunger is an offering for the spiritual hunger you have for the Lord.
Fasting Resource List
- DESTINYMakers.org - Week One Worksheet
- DESTINYMakers.org - Practical Tips for Fasting
- DESTINYMakers.org - Types of Fasting
- DESTINYMakers.org - Benefits & Blessings of Fasting
- Richard Foster’s “Celebration of Discipline”
- Dallas Willard’s “The Spirit of the Disciplines"
- Arthur Wallis' “God’s Chosen Fast”
- Derek Prince Ministries - The Power of Fasting
- Dave Patterson’s “Pursuit”
- Grounded Podcast - Biblical Fasting
- Proverbs 31 Ministries - Why Should I Fast?
Do you have a resource to share or a fasting tip?
Please add to the lists by sharing any books, podcasts, articles, or tips for fasting that have really blessed you. Submit your suggestions below. We encourage you to share how these resources helped you if you choose to share.
DESTINYMakers.org offers videos, articles, resources and programs that will encourage, enlighten and engage the people of God to live in the fullness of their God-given destiny. Small group bible studies, Christian education programs, and church-wide study curriculums are available utilizing the self-paced online class Destiny Living: Receiving God's Heart For Your Purpose-Filled Potential.
Visionlinked INC. | Estero, FL | Main - Office@destinymakers.org | Support - firstname.lastname@example.org